Saturday, June 2, 2012

Shades of Grey... Display Idea

I was wondering thru Target recently and came upon some great sales. Our Target is adding the full grocery section and I guess that they needed to get rid of some of the home decor merchandise to make room! What a happy day for me (although I am pretty sure the checking account would disagree!)

An adorable little egg crate was just yelling my name from the shelf! I have seen these before at Anthro and love the idea of keeping yours eggs in these in the frig. The grey ones were marked down to $3.98 so I grabbed 2 and happily thought of how stylish my refrigerator would look! And then I recalled seeing these used to hold other things besides just eggs... office supplies at a desk, sewing odds and ends, and even jewelry! So I picked up 2 more and planned to spruce them up a bit to make them more suitable for display.

I have an unused can of Gray Chalkboard spray paint that has been burning a hole in my pocket and I decided this was the perfect piece for it. I love the idea of drawing on this or writing what goes in each section. So in the hour it took to paint and dry 2 coats of chalkboard paint I had this great little gift for less than $5!

Side Note: You will see that the chalk paint has the appearance of snake skin in the bottom of the egg crate... this is because I did not completely dry it prior to paining! Brilliant right? But I actually love the unexpected texture it gives to the matte black everywhere else. I am not sure if this happens with all spray paint but I am thinking about trying it out on the other one to see if I can create a crackled look all over.






No comments:

Post a Comment