Monday, February 4, 2013

Broken Heart Jello Cookies

I spent some great time with Little Man working on a Valentine's Day treat and craft for the Dog Days of Winter Love It Challenge. Going along with my earlier post about foods that remind me of my childhood, I decided to make Jello cookies. These were often made using Lime and Strawberry Jello around Christmas time and I loved them! This is the Original Recipe that I made some changes to.

Jello Cookies

1 3 oz box of Strawberry Jello
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs (I used flax eggs - so 2 tbsp flax seed and 6 tbsp water)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cream the butter, applesauce, sugar, and Jello. Add the eggs and vanilla on medium speed. Sift remaining dry ingredients and add a little at a time till fully mixed. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Fill a shallow plate with sugar. Dip a glass into a bit of water, then into the sugar plate. Press the dough down to 3/8 inch thickness. You can add chunkier granulated sugar also. Bake 6-8 minutes.

the ingredients...

Little Man trying the batter! This is the reason I use flax instead of eggs! 
And yes - he refuses to let the Christmas jammies be taken out of the rotation!

The mixed Jello cookie dough

We opted to make bigger cookies, so these are 2 inch balls

Flattened down dough balls

We then used a heart shaped cookie cutter.... and then we ate the extra dough we trimmed off!


While the cookies baked, we got to work on the canister for the cookies. I was planning to use an empty Oatmeal canister but this little baby one seemed perfect with the red lid and all! I grabbed a polka dot gift bag and we got to work recovering it. We trimmed the paper to size and attached it using double sided tape. Then we played around with some felt to decorate it up a bit more! You can just barely see it but I took the handles from the gift bag and hot glued them around the middle of the canister to hold the heart shaped tag.

Perfect little canister! Love that I was able to reuse it!

Cutting the paper to size

Since our cookies were so big, we wanted to cut them in half but this seemed much more appropriate!

Our finished canister! Thought the saying was cute.... I love you without a dot (doubt!)

Filled with cookies and ready to surprise Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment