Sunday, May 5, 2013

White Chicken Enchiladas and Almost {Healthy} Fried Ice Cream!!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! This used to be a holiday when I enjoyed drinking margaritas and Corona's at our local Mexican restaurant with 300 of my closest friends.... but I totally lucked out this year and get to celebrate with my 3 favorite people in the world :)

What a better meal than these yummy Chicken Enchiladas! I wish that I had a source, but this recipe was passed to me via a photocopied recipe at a close friend's wedding week festivities. It was such a hit that the hubs (my fiance at the time) insisted I find this recipe. Luckily, the hostess had a copy she gladly passed on. Not only is it a knock out meal, it can be prepared ahead of time which is a must for me when entertaining.... or for dinner's in general with 2 young kids! I have switched it up by going veggie and using mushrooms instead of chicken or doing black beans instead of pinto. You really can't go wrong!

Chicken Enchiladas:
16 6 inch tortillas
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
1 16 ounce carton low fat sour cream
3 cups chicken broth
1 4 oz can diced green chili peppers
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup corn
1 cup pinto beans
4 cups chopped cooked chicken (I use 2 organic cans of chicken, drained)

Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes until soft (I skip this step if in a crunch!)
In a sauce pan - cook onion and garlic in butter till tender.
Stir flour into sour cream and add to onion mixture. Stir in broth, chili powder, & chili peppers.
Cook until thickened and bubbling. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of cheese. Set aside.
In a bowl, stir 1 cup of sauce into chicken. Add corn, pinto beans, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Mix well.


Spoon chicken mixture into tortilla and roll. Place seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish. Once all tortillas have been rolled and placed in dish, top with remaining sauce. Bake covered at 350  degrees for 30 minutes. Add remaining cheese to top and cook an additional 5 minutes.


Almost {Healthy} Fried Ice Cream:
1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
1 cups of cinnamon cereal (I used a mix on Fiber One Caramel Delight and Raisin Bran. I just grabbed the last bit of each that we had left, threw it in a plastic bag, & crushed it with a rolling pin)

Using an ice cream scoop, make ice cream balls.
Dip balls in crushed cereal. Mix around till each ball os coated.
Place balls back into freezer in a freezer safe container for approx 1 hour.
Remove when ready to serve. Top with honey, chocolate sauce, whipped cream.... anything!!!!





2 comments:

  1. the enchiladas look really yummy!
    I really like the idea of the almost-fried ice cream---I need to try it! :)
    floral&fudge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I adore the fake fried ice cream! It's the perfect portion controlled dessert to satisfy my need for sweets after a meal!

      Delete