Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pom Pom Trim Curtains

Being that we are on a pretty tight budget, I knew that repurposing was going to be a key theme as I took on the playroom design. Luckily I am a hoarder of all things decor related so I have a lot of options to choose from!

Way back when the hubs and I first got married, we got these great Ballard Essential Chocolate panels to help block out some of the pesky sun in our master room.... fast forward a few years and they are still in great shape but we no longer have the time for midday naps thanks to the 2 munchkins and if we did we are so exhausted we could easily sleep in broad daylight! We have two 108 inch ones and two 84 inch panels. I have now learned that I should never buy shorter than 96 inch panels! And to make matters worse the 84 inch panels somehow only measure 82 inches now which won't even cover the top of the window thanks to our new taller ceilings! It was a no brainer to relocate these curtains up to the playroom since it has 3 sets of windows.

I wanted to do something a little more fun than just the plain panels and I have been obsessing over the ball pom pom trim on panels for ages! I wanted to do it in Fiona's room but I could not find the right color of purple. Luckily, Hobby Lobby had the perfect color (and priced) mini ball trim! I used a 40% off coupon and ran home excited to get started.

It is a super easy project to trim the panels and my trusty hot glue gun was ready to help. Before I started trimming, I decided to let the hem on the 84 inch panels. I ripped the existing 4 inch hem and used a half inch hem. It worked perfectly to give me a little more length. Then I laid the panels on the kitchen table and hot glued away. I trimmed the leading edges of the panels during 2 nap times. I love the way it looks!

But there will be no big reveal today.... Even with the taken out hem, the panels still need a little more length. What to do??? Add curtain clip rings of course! But I have a great take on them that I will reveal tomorrow along with the full shots of my Pom Pom trimmed panels.






I was excited to see the new KidShop by Serena and Lily in their newest catalog and thrilled to see their tassel trimmed panels @ $78 per panel! I adore them, so I knew right away that making these for the playroom was a perfect decision! I love it when I find that type of affirmation on a DIY project!



No comments:

Post a Comment