Monday, September 3, 2012

Yummy Italian Skewers Appetizer

Happy Labor Day! Hope that everyone is getting to spend time with family and friends this weekend!

Our neighbors had a Fantasy Football Draft/Labor Day get together this weekend. It's always fun to walk next door and see everyone... and of course to stuff our faces! Everyone brought something to throw on the grill and then either an appetizer or a side. I like to mix it up and try new stuff so I set off to find an easy and delicious appetizer (and selfishly one that was dairy free so I could have some too!)

I happened upon Southern Living's 40 Party Appetizers article and my mouth was watering with all of the yummy ideas! How could I possibly choose something?

I somehow managed to decide on Italian Skewers. It is basically a Antipasto platter on a skewer which is great for large gatherings.

Source: Southern Living

Not only did it get rave reviews but it might have been the easiest appetizer to throw together! Plus it is so easy to mix it up with what you might have... I switched out green olives for Calamata (purple) ones and also came very close to adding on some cheese tortellini to make it a little heavier. I also made a couple with no cheese just for me!

All you need is to gather the ingredients and skewer them! Then a light coating of balsamic dressing and let it sit for a few hours!

I used:
1 block of mozzarella cheese
1 package salami slices
1 can of quartered Artichoke hearts
1 pint of grape tomatoes
1 small jar of Calamata olives
20 6 inch wood skewers
Balsamic Dressing (1/3 cup olive oil, 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar, Juice from half lemon, herbs to taste)

Recipe Link

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! YUMMO! My family would love these, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Nik! Totally pinning this. :)

    ReplyDelete