Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lighting Love: Painted Lampshades

As my Master inspiration was falling apart, I started to really struggle to figure out where to go next. I knew that the Ink Trellis cases would be staying so when I saw these beautiful cobalt blue Threshold lamps at Target for $20, I ran like a mad woman to put them in my cart! They are short and wide which works great on our dresser and doesn't block the TV.


I adored the Ikat shades on them and was thisclose to bringing them home with me but I just couldn't commit since I am still so up in the air on the colors. I took the lamp bases home alone and thought that I would try to figure out what to do next. I happened to try out a few of the shades that I have floating around my house and I just loved the way a white shade looked against the blue. So back to Target I went to get some basic white drum shades.

We all know that a trip to Target for one thing inevitably means we get six times as much stuff and you never get what you went for in the first place! I could not refuse a browse down the sale aisle and I found these Threshold coral trimmed medium sized drum shades for $5 each! I suddenly had a stroke of genius! These would be perfect for my blue lamps.


I opted to try something a little different than the usual method of recovering a lampshade.... I decided to try paint! I happened to have a sample of Matte white paint from Home Depot and I used a small art paint brush. Not only did it cover with just one coat, it looks like a beautiful white linen fabric now! In less than an hour, I had 2 white lampshades with coral trim! 




Now the big question is whether the coral will stay in the room or not. I have another thought about taking this DIY to the next level. It all depends of the accent color for the Master. But that's another post for another day!

Linking up at Inspiration Gallery Link Happy Hour Party and Serenity Now

No comments:

Post a Comment