Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I'm Back.... just in time for Mother's Day!

I had the best of intentions to keep working on projects and writing about the ones I have completed... but man a 2 year old and a newborn don't leave much time for that!

Here it is the week before Mother's Day and I have procrastinated on this project for way too long now! I am huge fan of more personalized gifts especially for holidays Mother's Day, anniversaries, etc. I stumbled upon this adorable idea for DIY Magnets and I knew instantly that this would be the perfect gift for my mom and mother in law! What a better gift than the smiling faces of their grandkids to greet them on the frig every morning!

DIY Magnet Tutorial

So I used the above idea as my starting point but made some changes...

Since I am using actual pictures - the glass beads were way to small. I tried some 1 inch ones that i found at Micheals but they had too much distortion. So I found these square glass tiles that are 1 3/8 inch and for $2.39 for a set of four the price was right! I then printed out

Square Glass Tiles

Here are the supplies needed:
Glass Tiles, Printed Pictures, Scissors, Modge Podge, Small Brush, Magnets, Hot Glue Gun



Step 1 - Print and cut out your pictures. I used regular computer printer paper and then just cut around one of the glass tiles. The tiles that I ordered were all of uniform size so this worked perfectly!

Step 2 - Modge Podge the pictures to the tiles. I found that this step works best if you apply the Modge Podge to the tile and then stick the picture on to it. When I applied the Modge Podge to the picture it made some of the ink bleed (and this was after letting the pics sit overnight). Let the tiles sit for about 2-3 hours to let everything dry.

Step 3 - Hot glue the magnets (or even tacks - if you prefer) to the back of the tiles.

This might have been the easiest project that I have worked on in ages! The actual time that I worked on it was less than 10 minutes and the magnets look so cute! I cannot wait to hand them out on Sunday. I am wrapping them up in cute little boxes that are just the perfect size to hold four magnets!

Below is the finished product - the flash is making the pictures look a bit off but they are adorable and clear in real life!






No comments:

Post a Comment