Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fia's Pink & Green Circus Themed 1st Birthday

I am a lover of party planning and as Fia's first birthday approached I started on the planning...  with Little Mans help! Being that her birthday fell on Easter weekend and our families are hours away,it was going to be just the four us. I wanted to keep everything really simple (read inexpensive!) but still have a really fun party to celebrate her big 1st birthday!

I had no idea on a theme or details, so I set out with kids in tow to Hobby Lobby hoping for some inspiration. Little Man stumbled upon the most adorable vintage circus fabric and it was all over! We chose 2 patterns of scrap book paper to make a pendant banner, pink striped paper straws, tulle and ribbon for a tutu, and #1 napkins, candle, and cupcake toppers (plus one yard of the circus fabric) for less than $30. 

I made Fia a ONE onesie using the circus fabric and pink, green, and white tutu. I was lazy and hand drew, cut, and hot glued the letters on to a pink onesie. I then made her a tricolor tutu very similar to her Parrot Halloween costume. I wanted something a little more so I decided to make her a headband. I wanted to use the circus fabric so I decided to make a fabric flower. I cut 4 four inch circles from the fabric and stitched them together pleating them as I went until it resembled a flower. Then I added it on to a solid white headband.

As for the food it was 100% kiddie foods and desserts! Grilled cheese sandwiches cut using elephant sandwich cutters that we bought at our Walmart ages ago. Strawberries and animal crackers in my well used gray ceramic egg crates served as snacks. And for the real fun.... Desserts! I used the paper straws to hold sprinkle dipped marshmallows in metal buckets. I used the Confetti cake mix to make both cupcakes and a square smash cake. I thought about store bought frosting but decided to make my own since it would be her first taste of anything really sweet. I used this recipe and added in about 4 mashed up strawberries to make it pink. Let me say, I might never buy frosting again this was so good! I frosted the smash cake and then used animal crackers around the edges to decorate it. Super cute and easy!

I cut out triangles from the scrap book paper, added foam sticky letters to them, and strung them together. The remaining fabric was used as a table runner on my dresser turned buffet which worked perfectly with the green glass lamps! Her smash cake on a glass cake plate finished it off!

I adore how it all turned out and think she had a wonderful first birthday!!!




Linking up at Serenity Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment